Mental Health Support Teams provide direct mental health support to education settings they work with. The teams aim to promote the early detection and prevention of mental health problems across the whole school/college and strengthen links between schools/colleges and mental health services.
The teams provide direct, ongoing support around mental health and wellbeing. This includes:
- Providing direct interventions to pupils with mild to moderate mental health conditions, such as anxiety, low mood or behavioural difficulties.
- Where young people require specialist support, making onward referrals to health and wellbeing services for children and young people.
- Providing training, education and advice to school staff to help them better support their pupils around mental and emotional wellbeing.
- Championing mental wellbeing and resilience across the whole school community, providing guidance around issues such as bullying and coping with exam stress.
- The service sits alongside and complements any existing mental health support that schools have access to.